Monday, January 14, 2013

Video Playback Aborted Error

Did you ever encountered or had a user complain of an error message on Google Chrome when playing Kajabi videos.

Error Message:
The video playback was aborted due to a corruption problem or because the video used features your browser did not support

Here's what the error looks like:


It happened to me when I had a laptop upgraded to Windows 8. Originally I thought the problem was with Flash, but chrome already has flash built in so I was left scratching my head.

Compared with other machines, operating systems and browsers I was not able to replicate the error. It looks like this is isolated on this laptop. It can't be a plugin conflict as this is a new install.

Fifty searches later and about a couple dozen websites ranging from JWPlayer, H.264 implementations, Flash Fallbacks, HTML5, I finally stumbled upon a user having the same issue.

It turns out this error is caused by a feature of chrome that can cause some videos not to play.

The feature is called "hardware accelerated decode", I am not going to lay out the technical bits, but let's just say its causing video playback to fail on some but not all. We just need to disable the feature and it would solve the problem. Check out the steps below.

1. Type in chrome://flags on Chrome's URL / Address Bar


2. Look for "Disable hardware-accelerated video decode" and enable it


3. Just Relaunch Chrome and you should be good to go


6 comments:

  1. Amen! Thank you for your exhaustive research. I had just started down that path (video playback error for a video but not for Kajabi), when I stumbled upon your solution. Much thanks for saving me all that time! All is working now.
    Cheers,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you SO much for this! I'd been struggling with this error on a couple of membership sites I belong to, and no one had this solution. Will be passing this along to others to hopefully save them some trial, tribulation and headaches!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my...
    i've been stressed about this until I found this website.
    Thankyou so much

    ReplyDelete
  4. i did that and till gget the problem

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Need help I wonder why I cant upload photos/videos in Kajabi using chrome in my computer? :(

    ReplyDelete